Wednesday, October 22, 2008

For the planet, well at least Ottawa

Green.

That's usually the term used for any effort to reverse the erratic uncontrollable planet trashing set forth in the last century. I love it. It's so easy to do, and often you save yourself trouble and money. Just a bit of education on the subject and jumping on board is easy.

Our school board here in Ottawa has professed itself "Green" but has trouble delivering it in, you guessed it, the underprivileged non suburb school; my school. A great Teacher has taken it upon herself to get us all involved and I applaud her efforts. In a week, we planted a new tree, recycled FOR THE FIRST TIME plastic bags and /encouraged the use of mugs. Yeah, mugs. The ones we clean and use again. All we had to do was bring it, and you beverage of choice was 75% off. Stroke of genius. Now we're on our way to recycling plastic bottles, which isn't par in our "green" school board, along with the plastic bags. Our main impediment: It's not in the janitor's collective bargaining agreement. Obviously doesn't matter since I'm sure this bird will figure its way out of its new raincoat.

In Ottawa, I remember this summer that I carried my now empty plastic bottle around the market for over an hour, looking for a place to recycle it. Shockingly, the food court of the Rideau Centre, a main shopping attraction for tourists, had nowhere to recycle bottles. Figures. In the garbage were mounds of bottles and cans waiting to go to the dump to rest for a million years or so.

It's gonna be a long road, my career just started, but here goes educating my students on the environment. By the way, we should call it not "the environment" when it's clearly "our environment" since we live in it.

To Our environment then.

No comments: